This week I thought I'd talk a little bit about television. I am one of the those "horrible" moms who lets their kid watch tv. We often have it on for background noise, however I have been turing it off more often lately. We usually tune to either Treehouse or Playhouse Disney. They are both kid appropriate channels with no commercials.
Mikey usually tunes in for a bit, then goes off to play. There are a few shows that he really likes though.
1. Special Agent Oso - This is Mikey's current favorite show. When he hears the theme music start, he runs to watch. Points at the tv and yells "Oso, oso, oso" until someone agrees with him. He dances to the opening music. And watches transfixed by the whole episode.
2. In the Night Garden - The opening shows a little kid in bed, with circles being drawn in his palm. When the show starts, Mikey wants to snuggle and have this done to him too. And when the show ends, and Iggle-piggle waves goodnight, Mikey waves and says "bye" until the credits stop rolling.
3. Waybaloo - Mikey loves the "yogo" portion. He sometimes copies them a bit. But mostly he watches the little kids and cheers whenever they do.
4. Bobs and Lolo - Mikey loves dancing to their songs. They are more a commercial on Treehouse, but they have great songs. I should probably buy a CD of them.
5. Four Square - Mikey especially loves the movement segment. He has begun copying the movements with them. Although I always question the need for their spandex suits.
Do you let your kids watch tv? Do they prefer any particular shows?
What's the problem with kids watching kids shows? Is there something about TV that supposedly does damage to little minds? I'm just curious.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a problem with it myself. But it seems like whenever I mention it to other moms, I get death stares. Like I'm rotting his brain by letting him watch it.
ReplyDeleteBut in today's plugged-in world, I don't see how keeping kids away from electronics is helpful. I even let him play on our iPad, and he is probably more skilled at it than us.