I decided to try making the two-week cycle D. It is heavy on chicken dishes, and since my husband loves chicken, I thought this would be the best place to start. Familiar foods, but with some new flavours.
It took a really long time to do everything. Mostly because my son was "helping". We needed breaks to settle down for a nap, to have a snack, to play and hug for a bit. Overall, it took me 7 hours! But I'm sure it would have been more like 4, if my son wasn't there bothering me all the time.
I spent $200 on the ingredients. This includes all the spices, since I didn't have anything except oregano and thyme in my cupboard. I ended up with 18 dishes in the freezer. I split a few of them up since some served 8, and we really only need 4 servings to have supper and lunch the next day. There was one recipe (Meatball Sub Casserole) that I also should have split up, but I didn't realize it gets frozen in the baking dish until I started assembling. Otherwise, I would have used 2 small baking dishes instead of one big one. And I did not make the tilapia dish since neither my husband nor I care for fish.
I also had 3 small ingredient mishaps:
- I had no eggs, and I needed 3. This is because we made scrambled eggs the other morning, and french toast this morning. And used all the eggs. Luckily, our friend in the building had some I could have.
- I only got 1 small can of tomato soup instead of 3 large cans. This was a mistake I made reading the ingredients while making my shopping list. I substituted with a jar of spaghetti sauce, again borrowed from our friend.
- The ingredient list included both dry basil, and fresh basil, so I bought both. But I never saw where to use the fresh basil, so I only used the dry version. Even going back through, I'm not sure when I was supposed to use which. So I have fresh basil in my fridge that I have no idea what to use it for.
Hopefully we enjoy at least a few of the meals. I am glad I at least tried it. And now my sister wants to borrow the book to try a cycle. Let's hope the book can survive. It's looking pretty used after just one use. Water and sauce stained, one page is covered in crayon; it is pretty dogeared already. Like a good cookbook should be.
No comments:
Post a Comment