I recently stumbled upon a blog post titled 20 Financial Milestones You Want to Reach in Your 20′s. SIne I'm almost done my 20's (have just over a year left), I figured I would read through it, and see how I stack up.
# 1 – Finance a dream vacation…in cash - Nope. Since moving out on my own I've never even had a vacation away to anywhere that wasn't visiting family.
# 2 – Pay off your student loans - Yes! I did this.
# 3 – Automate paying your credit card bill in full - Definitely not. My credit card rarely sees a zero balance. I have never been able to save up an emergency fund, so my credit acts as that.
# 4 – Get rid of all bad debt - Good debt is classified as being tied to an asset that appreciates in value (like a house), while bad debt is tied to assets that depreciate, or aren't tied to assets at all. I only have "bad debt", so nope.
# 5 – Build an adequate emergency fund - Already explained my no on this.
# 6 – Make your first, and last, investment mistake - I haven't done any investing other than standard RRSPs, so I haven't made any mistakes.
# 7 – Develop a statement of cash flows - Do this on a regular basis along with my budget. I basically only do a cash flow based budget.
# 8 & 9 Max out a Roth & Contribute to your 401(k) - I live in Canada, so this doesn't really apply literally. But taken as retirement savings in general, I do contribute, but have never maxed out my annual allowance.
# 10 – Get a degree or certification that increases your earning power - Working on it.
# 11 – Take a career risk - Done. I had a nice comfortable position at a life insurance company and quit to start an accounting career at a real estate company. So far, it's working out, but not without the occasional regret.
# 12 – Negotiate something - Don't think I have. Oh wait, I have negotiated for better cable/phone prices. I guess every little action counts for something.
# 13 – Earn your first side grand - Who has time to earn side money? Not me.
# 14 – Start a sub-savings account for an upcoming financial goal - Nope. Working on emergency fund is more important, and I don't have very much extra money to saving with.
# 15 – Set a target retirement date - Haven't set one officially, but I doubt I will retire before 65. Looking at it another way, I assume I will work until I am at least 65. Who knows what the work world will look like at that time.
# 16 – Monitor your credit - Yes. I check my credit report once a year. And have never had any unpleasant, or unexpected, surprises.
# 17 – Say no to a financial salesman - Yes. Just recently I declined to trade in my term life insurance policy for a whole life policy. I found this was a little easier since I am already familiar with life insurance.
# 18 – Give just enough to make it hurt - Nope. I will admit that I give very little.
# 19 – Invest $1 for every $1 you spend - Ha!
# 20 – Start a 529 College Savings Plan - Again, as a Canadian this doesn't apply. But I do have an RESP for my son. I don't contribute much, but every dollar I do saves him several in the future.
Overall, I can say yes to about 9 or 10, depending on how liberally I choose to accept a yes. Not bad, but not stellar. How do you stack up?
When I was that age I had no clue except how to pay our rent and utilities on time. Then we got credit cards. I wish someone had told me back then how to use them properly. Although they bailed us out of some tough times when hubby was between chef jobs. What concerns me now is that there are no jobs for our college grads from so how can they hope to plan for their futures. Good job for you though!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Barb! I was worried about how I would do with the list, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I definitely think financial training is needed for all young people. So many mistakes and stressful situations could be avoided if people just knew how to handle money.
ReplyDeleteI did a lot of that stuff in my 20s...and then went and undid all my hard work in my 30s! Now I'm in my 40s working toward debt freedom again. My advice to you young'uns....learn the first time. :)
ReplyDelete