I know that the standard answer to this question for most moms is "I hope I never bury my child". This is an awful thing to do. But it is not the answer I am giving.
I hope I never have to move back in with my mom. I love her dearly, but I have not lived at home for 10 years. The thought of ever being in a position where I would need to move back fills me with horror. My mom is definitely in charge of her house, and keeps things a certain way, with her own rules. After being used to living with my own rules, and having things the way I like them, I could not imagine a smooth life living in anyone else's home.
I look around at my generation and see lots of people who live at home into their 30s, or until they are married, and I couldn't imagine doing it. Where is the independence? The sense of adulthood? Learning how to handle responsiblity? Having things your way, with your rules?
I am grateful for all the things living on my own, or with a partner, has taught me. There have been many mistakes, but they were mine to learn, and I've grown from them. I definitely would not be the person I am today if I was still living at home like a child. Here's hoping I never have to experience that again.
No comments:
Post a Comment