Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 14: A hero that has let you down

I can't really think of anybody I'd consider to be a hero of mine. There are people I respect, but not to hero status. I guess I need to go to a broader definitition and think of someone I respect who has let me down.

In a pervious job, I had a manager that I really liked to work for. She was very professional, trusted me to do my job, continually pushed me (in a good way) to do more. She was a great advocate for me as a worker. Over time, I moved to a different department, where I eventually ended up with a supervisor I did not respect. In an effort to save myself from getting fired for insubordination, I talked my previous boss about transferring to her current department. She was all for it, and helped to find a temporary position for me until a position in her department would open up.

But she screwed me. The temporary position she created ended fairly quickly, and I was transferred to a department I had no desire to be in. Less than 2 months later, a position in her department became available, but because I had to sign a commitment to my new department for at least a year, I was not able to apply. A few months later, I found out that the department I ended up in had requested me from her, and she had agreed to have me moved. All without consulting me. While knowing that I had moved to be in her reporting line in the first place. In the end, I was in a department I did not want to be in, and was thoroughly disgusted at her behaviour. I lost quite a bit of respect for her. She really let me down.

In the end, it turned out alright since I left the company, but I lost out on 2 salary raises in a row due to the timing of my moves. Not something I am happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment