Inspired by a new weekly post at Unexplained X2, here is a peek at what I am reading. Obviously, there will be a review when I'm done.
I am reading Stuff by Randy Frost and Gail Steketee. It is all about hoarding. I love the show Hoarders and Buried Alive, so when I saw this on the new book list at the library, I jumped on the wait list.
The book is filled with stories about hoarders who have participated in the author's research and interviews. The stories are very detailed, and really delve into the reasons behind each person's hoarding. The search of a reason for hoarding is the central theme in the book.
I am about half way through the book now. And with my craft all finished, I'm sure I'll fly through the rest of it, since I do most of my reading on my lunch hour.
I'm very much interested in the TV program Hoarders. We have a couple family members who are probably considered mild by some standards but never the less they hoard. Can't get rid of anything.
ReplyDeleteIronically enough, Buried Alive is my husband's show (he works at the Discovery Channel) and I can't watch it. It makes me claustrophobic to see those homes and hear those stories. It's also pretty heartbreaking, especially when children are involved. Is the book hard to read?
ReplyDeleteI love those shows too. Every week we watch and shout at the TV, "Just throw it all out!!" We realize, of course, that it's more complicated than that, but it's fun to pretend we just don't get it.
ReplyDeleteThe book is very interesting. I haven't found it hard to read, but I don't find the shows hard to watch either. Unless they have a food hoarder, and I feel almost sick with disgust watching it.
ReplyDeleteThere is a chapter about children, which I think will be hard to read. To me that is very tragic.
I am fascinated by this "stuff" too! Can't wait to add this one to my list! Thanks for linking up...I didn't even know I put that at the bottom until I noticed that people were actually linking up. I should pay better attention!
ReplyDelete