Monday, January 24, 2011

Book review: Nerve Damage

Nerve Damage by Peter Abrahams was the latest audiobook I listened to in my car during my commute. It is about a scupltor, Roy Valois, who learns he is dying of an inoperable, incurable cancer. On a whim, he looks up and reads the obituary that will be printed about him in the New York Times. He finds that it inaccurately states where his dead wife worked, and he makes it his mission to investigate and correct this mistake. But is it a mistake? Or are there secrets his wife never told him?

I would classify this book as a conspiracy thriller. The premise really intrigued me, but I had a hard time enjoying it. I simply disliked, almost hated the main character. He just wasn't likable. He was in complete denial about his condition, and while this may be a common stage, he just took it too far.

And his attitude and treatment of others? He just rubbed me the wrong way, and I couldn't get past it.

Overall, the story was exciting, with some good twists and turns. But the ending was too fairy tale happy to fit the rest of the story.

Since I listened to this on audiobook, I had the addition of the narrator to contribute. And I wasn't impressed. The reading was very choppy. Each sentence stood alone. It was very difficult to follow in the beginning, but I did figure out thow to follow, but it didn't make for the most enjoyable listen.

Rating: 2/5
Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment