I don't donate to charities on a regular basis. It is something I occasionally think I should do, but I never seem to get to it, or have the funds for it.
I do try to help kids who are selling candy for fundraising. Benefits for me and them. I remember trying to sell stuff as a kid, and how hard it was. So I try to find the change, provided I want the product.
I recently "found" $28 in my paypal account that I forgot I had, and decided to donate it instead of buying myself a treat. I am reading a book about micro-lending (Banker To the Poor by Muhammad Yunus, review to come when I finish), and how it has a huge impact on helping poverty-ridden women around the world. I had previously looked into a website about it, but had never gotten around to donating. So I located the website (Kiva - not the same company from the book I am reading. That one is Grameen.), signed up, and donated. What you are doing is really lending the money, provided the recipient repays. Once they have repaid, you can re-lend the money. I like this website especially since you chose the exact person you are lending to. It's not just you giving to a company who disburses the money as needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment