Saturday, July 2, 2011

Newsprint nails

I mentioned yesterday that I tried a newsprint effect on my fingernails. I like the result, and so does my sister.
Here is the best picture I could get of them. I used a dark grey base colour, but I think it would look neat with almost any colour underneath.

I did learn a few things to remember for next time:
- Press the newsprint very hard and evenly or the writing will be light.
- Make sure your nail is complete damp or the paper will stick and make your nail fuzzy.
- Let the newsprint dry before the top coat or it will smear.
- Find the smallest writing possible, otherwise there will only be a few characters. I used the terms and conditions section from a flyer. Tiny writing there!

I am not very clean at doing my nails. I get nail polish all over my fingers. But I have found if you just leave it for a few hours and then wash your hands well with soap and water a few times, it cleans up fairly easily. By the next day you'd never know I am such a messy applier.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen lace over the nails but never newspaper. Very different. I used to do nails, so get an orange stick and dip it in acetone and if you get polish on your finger, just run the orange stick on it and it will come off as you go along. Since it's wet the acetone gets it right off. Wipe it on a paper towel after each wipe and then redip in the acetone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this around Tumblr never actually somebody do it, I LOVE IT. You have totally inspired me to give it a try.It looks awesome.

    And I am totally a messy applier of nail polish as well, luckily it washes away like you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Barb, I'll try it next time.

    Zoe, it was fun to try. A different look for sure.

    ReplyDelete