Friday, August 6, 2010

Husband, boyfriend, what do you call him?

So what do you call the person you have lived with for years, who you have children with, but who you have never married? Husband? Boyfriend? Significant other?

This has been an ongoing theme for the morning show at my local radio show. It got me thinking...

I am in this situation. I say husband if the person isn't a friend, and just use his name if they are a friend. I figure that common-law is almost the same as married nowadays, so it doesn't really make much difference. My sister is in the same situation, and they refer to each other as husband and wife.

3 comments:

  1. I would just call him 'husband'
    I think after 12 months of living together, you are officially common-law...and if you file taxes together, than technically you are 'married' (just missing that piece of paper.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my woman wife though we are not married, but we've been living together for over 2 years and have a 16 month old baby girl, so, what's the difference? Anyway, in our country once you've lived over 2 years under the same roof you are considered to have the same status as married.
    BTW, we went through kinda similar experience with our baby regarding milk/food issues and afaik your pediatrician's advice is really similar to the one we've got.
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention that we live in Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the Canadian rules are 12 months living together, or having a child while living together, regardless of the time length. Both of which apply to me. I have to admit I never thought about it until the radio show made such a big deal out of it, the one host really didn't agree with saying husband/wife.

    ReplyDelete