Friday, July 23, 2010

Book review: Left Behind

I have been reading the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. I have been thoroughly enjoying it, which did surprise me. I am not religious, and was leery of the series as it is heavily Christian. But I am finding it fascinating, and an easy read. Even without an indepth knowledge of Christanity, it is easy to follow, probably because all of the characters are new believers.

I am currently reading the fifth book. So far I have flown through Left Behind, Tribulation Force, Nicolae and Soul Harvest, and just recently started Apollyon. I am an avid and quick reader, so I am thrilled to have found a lengthy series to read. There are still 7 more books in the series, and there are a few related series as well. And since they are all written and published (I hate waiting for new books to come out), I should have a regular reading list for a while.

To give my impressions of the series so far, I am obviously impressed. The characters seem real, and very believable. Their emotions and thoughts are a huge part of the story, which makes them really come alive. There are no one-dimensional characters here.

Will the series make a believer out of me? I doubt it. But I am really intrigued by the story, and the ideas behind it. And definitely happy about the fact that I don't need to be a believer to enjoy the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment